We discuss what makes Canada vulnerable to cyber crimes and provide our best prevention tips
According to a study released by Risk Based Security last month, Canada was number three on the list of countries with the most cyber attacks in 2018— being surpassed by the United States and the United Kingdom only. But what’s even more concerning than our world ranking is the fact that 12,551,574 Canadian records were exposed as a result of cyber security breaches last year alone. That’s a massive amount of sensitive data that has been compromised and accessed by cyber criminals. Yet many Canadian businesses (and individuals) still continue to underestimate the likelihood and the potential severity of cyber crime incidents.
For example, in Canada, the total downtime caused by a cyber attack was 23 hours on average in 2017. That’s a significant amount of time to spend away from the day-to-day operations of your business. Yet 41 percent of companies have more than 1,000 sensitive files that are open to everyone and vulnerable to being hacked. Statistics like these highlight the complicated nature of cyber crimes in Canada, and shine a light on the fact that Canadians must become more proactive if they want to protect themselves from cyber crime incidents in the future.
Prevention Must Be A Priority
Moving forward, Canadian businesses will face added pressure to invest in more advanced forms of IT security— with a specific focus on deterring cyber crime before it happens. Some recommended methods of preventing cyber crime include:
- Hiring a Managed Services Provider who is experienced and can address your IT concerns with a thorough knowledge of industry best practices.
- Use two-factor authentication whenever possible.
- Conduct security audits on a regular basis.
- Routinely train employees on security best practices and implement clear policies on how information should be protected.
- Update your browsers, operating systems, and anti-virus software regularly.
How ARC Managed Services Can Help:
At ARC Business Solutions, our Managed Services team offers 24/7 proactive support for businesses who require added manpower. Essentially, when you hire us, you get an entire IT department that you can depend on at any time. Our dedicated and qualified IT professionals are trained to handle technology issues of any magnitude, and always come prepared with proven innovative solutions that work.
Some of the ways we can strengthen your cyber defenses include:
- Identifying your riskiest files and data
- Providing real-time, automated security testing
- Conducting a full inventory of all authorized and unauthorized devices that access your network
- Implementing automated anti-virus and anti-malware software
- Conducting vulnerability assessments